Friday, May 8, 2015

Why Tweet?

A few months ago we launched the Tweet 10 Challenge.  This challenge was over a five day period where we had WWP utilizing Twitter.  Each day was designed to introduce an individual to the features of Twitter in a 10 minute activity.  

One first grade teacher at Dutch Neck, Stefanie Burnett (@Burnettwwp), describes why she uses Twitter.

Why use Twitter as an educator? 



Until taking the Tweet Challenge set up by the tech team, I had a misconception about Twitter.  Why join another social media site mostly targeting celebrity gossip?  I don't need to know more about the Kardashians!  How would this enhance my professional repertoire?

I soon discovered how wrong I was.  Here are some ways that I use Twitter for professional development:

  • Participate in Twitter chats – using hashtags such as #1stchat and #TCRWP  I am able to collaborate and share resources with other educators worldwide.
  • Follow classroom teachers – I am able to see what they are doing in their classrooms. I noticed a teacher was working on the same reading unit. I asked her if she could share a reader’s theater script with me.  This teacher happened to be in the same district but I do not have daily contact with her. It was great to be able to connect with her and what she is doing.
  • Follow iPad apps – I get notices when new updates occur or new ways to utilize the app by other educators.
  • Teachers follow me – I am able to share my created resources with others worldwide.
  • Search by hashtags to find resources to utilize. 

The best part is I can access this form of professional development whenever I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment